Over the past two years, the MSBO staff, legal counsel, and the MSBO Board undertook a comprehensive review of the MSBO Bylaws and Articles of Incorporation. This review resulted in several recommended amendments to both documents. The purpose of the amendments is to confirm that MSBO’s Bylaws and Articles of Incorporation follow current Michigan non-profit laws, update language to match current practices, and to ensure consistency between the two governing documents. The MSBO Board then recommended changes to the Bylaws and Resolutions Committee for their consideration.
The MSBO Bylaws and Resolutions Committee reviewed the proposed revisions from the MSBO Board, added additional changes, and has recommended amendments to the Bylaws and Articles of Incorporation to MSBO voting members.
The proposed revisions will be voted on electronically in conjunction with the annual board election. Voting will begin on Wednesday, April 6, 2022, and will end on Wednesday, April 20, 2022, at 3:00 pm.
Proposed changes include:
- Modernizes the language covering the duties of the Board of Directors and the Executive Director.
- Clarifies and updates membership eligibility language to match current practices.
- Clarifies eligibility for a member to serve on the Board of Directors. Clarifies effective dates of Director terms to be consistent with current practice.
- Adds the ability for the Board to remove an individual’s membership for conduct unbecoming the association.
- Restates the Articles of Incorporation in a more concise and modern format.
MSBO Articles of Incorporation
- Click here to view the current MSBO Articles of Incorporation.
- Click here to view the proposed MSBO Restated Articles of Incorporation.
The 2021-22 MSBO Bylaws and Resolutions Committee includes:
- Jason Helsen, Muskegon ISD, Chair
- Shay Anderson, Clare-Gladwin RESD
- Dena Mayer, Eastern UP ISD (Board Liaison)
- Penny Morgan, Crestwood School District
- Tim Peraino, Kent ISD
If you have any questions concerning the MSBO Bylaws and Resolutions Committee recommendation, please contact MSBO Bylaws and Resolutions Committee Chair Jason Helsen at firstname.lastname@example.org or (231)767-7209 or MSBO Executive Director David Martell at email@example.com or (517) 327-5920.
Other Articles in this Newsletter
- 2022 MSBO Annual Conference Early Bird Registration is Open
- Are You an Emerging Leader?
- Don’t Miss Out on These Professional Development Opportunities
- Dynamic Budget – Forecasting at Your Fingertips
- Get to Know Your 2022 MSBO Board of Directors Candidates
- Governance and MSBO – Dena Mayer
- MISEC/Brite Solar Opportunity for all Michigan Schools
- MSBO Update – David Martell
- Supporting Each Other is a Journey – Mary Beth Rogers
- Welcome New Members