MSBO certification is a voluntary certification system, established in 1998. It provides focused training to school business officials, and offers practical information that will help school business officials succeed and excel in their employment. MSBO certification provides business officials a base of knowledge about laws, regulations, and procedures for functioning in Michigan schools.
The MSBO certification program provides information to school business professionals to assure continuing professional development throughout their careers and was designed by MSBO’s Professional Development Committee in conjunction with the Facilities Management, Transportation, and Food and Nutrition Services Committees.
Any current MSBO member may become certified. MSBO has designed 14 different certification tracks, each specific to the specialty.
Certification Class Materials
Presentation materials for upcoming certification classes and on-demand courses are typically posted online for your convenience.
How to Get MSBO Certification
Step 1: Find Your Certification Track
MSBO offers 14 different certification tracks, each specific to various areas of school business and operations. Find out which of these tracks best applies to your career.
Step 2: Complete the Letter of Commitment
Members who wish to become certified must complete the required classes for their program within three years of starting. The letter of commitment informs MSBO of your desire to begin the certification program and complete the classes. This letter is now available to fill out as an online form.
The link below will open in a new tab
You are a candidate for grandparenting if:
- you have at least six years of school experience and satisfy the prerequisites of the certification track you wish to be certified in
- you do not have the required degree for your desired certification track but meet the work experience requirements to waive it (see the application for more details)
If you think you have experience or have taken classes that may be used toward a certification track, complete this application in place of the Letter of Commitment. Determination is made on a case-by-case basis.
Step 3: Get Your Welcome Packet and Enroll for Classes!
Once we receive your Letter of Commitment, we’ll send you a welcome email with a copy of your transcript, a list of courses for your certification track, and a letter showing your program deadline date.
From there, you’re free to enroll for any upcoming courses. For any classes you attend, be sure to fill out the survey for credit. We’ll keep track of completed courses on your transcript.
Step 4: Complete Courses and Submit Your Final Application
Once you complete all the required courses for your certification track, download and fill out the Final Application. This application must include:
- Your job description
- Current organizational chart of your school entity
- If applying for BOM, BOS, CFO, CPO, CTO, HRS, PAA, and SPS, Accredited College/University Courses (accompanied by unofficial transcripts)
- Application fee of $60.00
Your Final Application form must also include a signature from either the superintendent or board president of your organization.
Step 5: Get Certified!
If all the requirements are met, we’ll process your application and issue your certificate. Congratulations on your achievement!
Maintain your Certification
MSBO certification is valid for five years. In order to renew your certification, you must continue approved professional development hours within this five-year period.
Hours for renewal can be earned through college or university credit, MSBO certification courses, or through job-related education. Any job-related education must be approved for Continuing Education Units (CEU), State Continuing Education Clock Hours (SCECHs) or Continuing Professional Education (CPE). If the program does not meet these standards, prior approval will need to be obtained and will be determined on a case-by-case basis. Please send these requests to Debbie Kopkau at firstname.lastname@example.org to gain approval.
- CFO: 150 hours, 150 SCECHs or 6 semester hours from a college or university
- All other tracks: 90 hours, 90 SCECHs or 3 semester credit hours
- For holders of Chief Financial Officer and Business Office Manager Certificates you must attend one Group Solutions Seminar and one Financial Statement Preparation Workshop during your five-calendar-year renewal period. (The MSBO Leadership Institute and the Business Manager Academy can be used in place of the Group Solutions requirement.)
- Must maintain Active MSBO membership, as well as employment in a Michigan public school system.
Once your five-year renewal period approaches, fill out and submit the Renewal Application to maintain your certification.
MSBO’s partnership with Wilkes University provides another option for members to obtain a college degree that focuses specifically on school business administration.
School Business Leadership
Wilkes University offers an online master’s degree in school business leadership. The 30-credit program was developed to address the key issues school business leaders face in today’s education environment. It addresses topics that include public relations, facility management, financial operations, human resources, transportation, informational technology and food service. Learn more at www.wilkes.edu/sbl. To learn more about the Wilkes program, or if you have questions, or wish to discuss your education goals, please contact Anthony Roma at email@example.com or (570) 574-4886.
The following certification classes will waived (a total of 36 hours) for the MSBO Chief Financial Officer (CFO) certification track if you are enrolled and have completed the Wilkes University Master of Science in Education with a major in School Business Leadership (SBL):
- Effective Communications (3 hours)
- Food Service for the Business Manager (3 hours)
- Human Resources for the Business Manager (3 hours)
- Facilities for the Business Manager (3 hours)
- Purchasing Overview (3 hours)
- Preparing Your Financial Picture (12 hours)
- Team Leadership (3 hours)
- Technology for the Business Manager (3 hours)
- Transportation for the Business Manager (3 hours)
If you would like to learn how this program works with MSBO certification, please contact MSBO director of certification Debbie Kopkau at firstname.lastname@example.org or (517) 327-2587.