“Engage through knowledge, application, and mentorship.”
- Click here to see the list of cohort graduates.
Applications are no longer being accepted for the 21-22 cohort.
What is the Business Manager Academy?
MSBO has partnered with skilled past and present business managers to share their knowledge and experience in school finance. The Academy is designed for those who want to gain in-depth, practical, “hands-on” working knowledge in school finance. Coupled with individual mentoring opportunities, the program will assist participants in their positions, and as part of an overall school district administrative team. The 2021-22 Academy begins August 2021 and runs through June 2022.
The 2021-22 Business Manager Academy will be held with three options, virtually (2) and at one location.
Following is the proposed schedule.
- Virtual – (Meet twice a month – 2.5 hours each meeting)
- In Person – Region 3 (Winding Brook Conference Center, Shepherd – Meet once a month for 5 hours)
MSBO certification credit is available and college credit may be available. SCECHs will be awarded pending approval.
(Click on the image below to enlarge.)
The Academy consists of:
- Online technical content provided for advanced self-study
- Facilitated “in-person” work sessions designed to foster skills through “real-world” case examples
- Individual mentoring opportunities to allow for personalized professional support
- MSBO certification credit available and college credit may be available pending approval
- SCECHs and college credit will be awarded pending approval
Topics for discussion include:
- Cash flow and borrowing
- Working relations with unions, board members, superintendent, staff, and public including presentations, communication, and navigating various political situations in ways that allow the district to move forward
- Human resource topics
- Negotiating collective bargaining agreements
- Facilities, Food Service, Transportation, Technology and Curriculum Topics
- Bond issues security
- Other topics as brought forth from participants or related to current issues