“Engage through knowledge, application, and mentorship.”
MSBO has partnered with skilled past and present business managers to share their knowledge and experience in school finance. The Academy is designed for those who want to gain in-depth, practical, “hands-on” working knowledge in school finance. Coupled with individual mentoring opportunities, the program will assist participants in their positions, and as part of an overall school district administrative team. The 2023-24 Academy begins August 2023 and runs through June 2024.
Investing in MSBO Members Scholarships
Multiple scholarships have been granted for each Business Manager Academy site for 2023-24. In addition to the Applicant Criteria, district financial information will be used to assess the need. Criteria considered: Early Warning District; Percentage of Disadvantaged Students; Percentage of Fund Balance (last completed year); Negative Enrollment Trends. Priority will also be given based on experience as the lead school business official in the school district. Be sure to check the box on the application if you wish to be considered for a scholarship.
The 2023-24 Business Manager Academy will be held with three options:
- Virtual – (Meet twice a month – 2.5 hours each meeting) This option is full.
- Hybrid – (Genesee Career Institute – Meet once a month for 5 hours August-October and March-June. Meet twice a month virtually November-February. ) This option is full.
- In-Person – (Mecosta-Osceola ISD – Meet once a month for 5 hours August-June.)
MSBO certification credit is available and college credit may be available. SCECHs will be awarded pending approval.
Click Here to download the application for the 2023-24 Business Manager Academy. Application Deadline: July 31, 2023. Your application must be submitted by July 14, 2023 to be eligible for scholarship consideration.
The Business Manager Academy provides:
- Online technical content provided for advanced self-study
- Facilitated “in-person” work sessions designed to foster skills through “real-world” case examples
- Individual mentoring opportunities to allow for personalized professional support
- MSBO certification credit is available and college credit may be available pending approval
- SCECHs and college credit will be awarded pending approval
Topics for discussion include:
- Cash flow and borrowing
- Working relations with unions, board members, superintendent, staff, and public including presentations, communication, and navigating various political situations in ways that allow the district to move forward
- Human resource topics
- Negotiating collective bargaining agreements
- Facilities, Food Service, Transportation, Technology and Curriculum Topics
- Bond issues security
- Other topics as brought forth from participants or related to current issues
$950 fee includes all course materials, refreshment breaks and meals. You will be responsible for overnight accommodations (if needed) and travel expenses.
BMA Cohort Graduates
- Click here to see the list of cohort graduates.