“Engage through knowledge, application, and mentorship.”
Download the Application for the 22-23 cohort.
Application deadline is extended to July 30, 2022.
MSBO has partnered with skilled past and present business managers to share their knowledge and experience in school finance. The Academy is designed for those who want to gain in-depth, practical, “hands-on” working knowledge in school finance. Coupled with individual mentoring opportunities, the program will assist participants in their positions, and as part of an overall school district administrative team. The 2022-23 Academy begins August 2022 and runs through June 2023.
Investing in MSBO Members Scholarships
A scholarship has been granted for each Business Manager Academy site for 2022-23. In addition to the Applicant Criteria, district financial information will be used to assess the need. Criteria considered: Early Warning District; Percentage of Disadvantaged Students; Percentage of Fund Balance (last completed year); Negative Enrollment Trends. Priority will also be given based on experience as the lead school business official in the school district. Be sure to check the box on the application if you wish to be considered for a scholarship.
The 2022-23 Business Manager Academy will be held with two options:
- The Virtual Option is Full. Virtual – (Meet twice a month – 2.5 hours each meeting) If you want to be put on a waiting list, please email Debbie Kopkau at email@example.com.
- In Person – (Saginaw Valley State University – Meet once a month for 5 hours)
MSBO certification credit is available and college credit may be available. SCECHs will be awarded pending approval.
(Click on the image below to enlarge.)
The Academy consists of:
- Online technical content provided for advanced self-study
- Facilitated “in-person” work sessions designed to foster skills through “real-world” case examples
- Individual mentoring opportunities to allow for personalized professional support
- MSBO certification credit available and college credit may be available pending approval
- SCECHs and college credit will be awarded pending approval
Topics for discussion include:
- Cash flow and borrowing
- Working relations with unions, board members, superintendent, staff, and public including presentations, communication, and navigating various political situations in ways that allow the district to move forward
- Human resource topics
- Negotiating collective bargaining agreements
- Facilities, Food Service, Transportation, Technology and Curriculum Topics
- Bond issues security
- Other topics as brought forth from participants or related to current issues
$950 fee includes all course materials, refreshment breaks and meals. You will be responsible for overnight accommodations (if needed) and travel expenses.
BMA Cohort Graduates
- Click here to see the list of cohort graduates.