Food and Nutrition Service areas of responsibility include state and federal regulations (compliance), reporting, record-keeping, food production, distribution, menu planning, nutrition education, budgeting, purchasing, daily cash accountability, maintenance, food service facility planning, employee relations, contract negotiations, contract administration, and public relations.
MSBO Food & Nutrition Services Committee
Office of Health and Nutrition Services
- 31k Funding for Student Meal Negative Balance Forgiveness (Posted 2/11/21)
- New Equipment and Capital Expenditure Prior Approval Process (Posted 2/11/21)
- Student Meal Negative Balance Forgiveness School Year 2020-2021
- Food and Nutrition Programs
- All About Paid Lunch Equity (PLE)
Resources-National & Federal
- School Nutrition Association
- USDA National Agricultural Library
- National Food Service Management Institute
- USDA Food and Nutrition Service
- Institute of Child Nutrition
Contracting with Food Service Management Companies
The Food Service Contract team provides technical assistance and guidance to Child Nutrition Program participants with competitively procuring its Food Service Management Company (FSMC) or Vended Meal Company (VMC) food service contracts in the School Nutrition Programs, the Child and Adult Care Food Program, and the Summer Food Service Program. The team provides prototype templates for the formal procurement of FSMC and VMC in these programs; guidance on how to complete the prototypes or draft bid specifications in the informal process; information on the process; and pre and post-review functions as required by program regulation. The team also conducts reviews of invoice reconciliations for FSMC and VMC contracts to ensure compliance with program requirements and contract terms.
To learn more about these types of food service contracts, obtain prototype documents, or for questions contact the Food Service Contract Unit at MDE-FSMC-Vended@michigan.gov.
For assistance with all other procurement contracts or issues, please refer to the Procurement section of the Fiscal and Administrative Services webpage.
Get complete information from MDE’s website on Food Service Contracts.