MSBO’s Certification Program Benefits:
- Provides access to information needed to succeed in your job
- Offers practical overviews of key areas of law, regulations and practices
- Identifies resources for in-depth and additional information that may be utilized at a later time
- Assures a quality curriculum is developed and monitored by the MSBO Professional Development Committee
- Uses experienced practitioners to teach classes
- Offers seminars at regular intervals and reasonable prices
- Uses adult learning principles and provides a learning environment where colleagues can share experiences and information
Business Office Manager (BOM) Course Descriptions
Payroll and Related Personnel Issues (3 hours):
Understand the laws and regulations related to payroll function, including state and federal payroll laws and regulations, pertinent tax regulations, employee retirement plans, practical aspects of completing a payroll, and electronic check deposits.
Next Class: 12/7/23
Principles of Education (3 hours):
Understand the educational process, culture of schools, major learning theories, teaching methodologies, school improvement, design of inservice programs, and the structure and function of the principalship.
Next Class: 12/13/23
Purchasing Overview (3 hours):
Learn the basics of performing purchasing functions, including related Michigan laws, the structure of a purchasing operation, electronic and cooperative purchasing, bidding, reviewing contracts, lease-purchase options, and “partnerships.”
Next Class: 11/1/23
Team Leadership (3 hours):
Learn how to match your leadership style with the culture of the organization. Matching leadership style to the cultural landscape will allow you to increase your productivity, decrease communication problems and strengthen your conflict management skills.
Next Class: 10/24/23
Technology for the Business Manager (3 hours):
Learn how to develop longrange technology planning, while assigning appropriate specifications for technology purchasing. Other topics include: technology infrastructure contracting for the school district, evaluating the cost benefits of producing information in relation to organizational value, and ensuring that appropriate security is maintained.
Next Class: 1/23/24
Wrap-up/Ethics (2 hours):
Celebrate completion of your certification program! Reflect on what you have learned and your role in the educational process and your school district. This class can be taken only if you are two classes or less from completing your certification (not counting the Wrap-Up/Ethics Session).
Next Class: 1/10/24
Elective (6 hours): Any course taken outside of this certification track but required in another.