Mark your calendars for the opening of the room block for the 2019 MSBO Annual Conference & Exhibit Show. The room block will open on Monday, December 3. Watch for more detailed information as the date approaches. The Amway Grand Hotel in Grand Rapids will serve as MSBO’s host hotel for the conference.
Early Bird Registration will begin in early February 2019. You will be able to register for the full conference, pre-conferences, and certification classes as well as select all the sessions you wish to attend at one time. Scholarships will also be offered, and the application will be available at the same time of Early Bird registration.
Don’t Let This Happen to You
The past couple of years, MSBO has learned that some associate members were targeted by what the industry calls a “room block pirate.” Yes, this is a real issue.
MSBO does not work with outside companies for overnight accommodations. We recommend only booking overnight rooms directly with hotels using our room blocks so you can get the preferred rates.
If you are contacted by someone claiming to be with MSBO or any company that says they are closely associated with MSBO and want to book your accommodations for the 2019 MSBO Annual Conference, they are not being truthful. If you have any questions or this happens to you, please contact Deneen Hansen at 517.327.2585 or email email@example.com.
What are Pirates and Poachers?
“Pirates” and “Poachers” are third party companies that misrepresent themselves by claiming to be the housing provider for a given convention or trade show who profits by booking registrants outside the official room block. Pirating companies research online event lists and convention calendars then typically target exhibitor lists, using deceptive tactics such as:
- Claiming to have hotel rooms available at a lower rate
- Informing registrants that the hotel is “sold out” and to book immediately
- Representing themselves as being affiliated with the event, illegally using logos and proprietary materials
- Distributing forms and offers that look official and legitimate, but they are not
The Risk for Attendees and Exhibitors
Attendees and exhibitors booking with anyone other than the official hotel are risking:
- Arriving onsite to find out their reservation doesn’t exist, and their credit card has been charged
- Not receiving hotel or rate originally booked, receiving a higher rate at a different hotel
- Rooms cancelled with significant deposits lost or hefty cancellation fees charged to credit cards
- Credit cards are charged in full at the time the reservation is made as well as additional hidden costs
- No protection should you need to make changes or cancel reservation
Other Articles in this Newsletter
- 9th Leadership Institute Cohort Deadline Soon
- Celebrate Your Contributions!
- Change is Scary
- How Can You Give Back to MSBO?
- ICY Roads – No Problem!
- MSBO Update
- One of the Most Critical Workshops of the Year!
- Q & A with 2018 ASBO Eagle Award Winner Robert Moore
- Scholarships Help Members Meet Education Goals
- Still Time to Register for Drive-in Classes
- Welcome New Members
- Who Works In Schools?
- Why Your Technology Director Needs to be CTO Certified