The MSBO Business Manager Academy is designed for those who want to gain an in-depth, practical, and “hands-on” working knowledge in school finance. Participation is limited and requires submission of the MSBO Business Manager Academy application.
2018-19 Program host sites:
- Saginaw Valley State University (SVSU): Program begins August 22, 2018 — Click here for program dates and details.
- Wayne RESA: Program begins August 16, 2018 — Click here for program dates and details.
The Academy consists of:
- 11 class sessions
- Online technical content provided for advanced self-study
- Facilitated “in-person” work sessions designed to foster skills through “real-world” case examples
- Individual mentoring opportunities to allow for personalized professional support
- MSBO certification credit available and college credit may be available pending approval
Topics for discussion include:
- Cash flow and borrowing
- Working relations with unions, board members, superintendent, staff, and public including presentations, communication, and navigating various political situations in ways that allow the district to move forward
- Auditing and accounting topics
- Negotiating collective bargaining agreements
- Facilities, food service, transportation, technology and curriculum topics
- Working with outside agencies and government organizations
- Other topics as brought forth from participants or related to current issues
$950 fee includes all course materials, refreshment breaks and meals. You will be responsible for overnight accommodations (if needed) and travel expenses. Accepted applicants will receive an email with instructions for registration and payment.
SCECHs available pending approval.