Recognizing the extraordinary work of MSBO members is an honored tradition at MSBO’s Annual Conference. However, we are living in a different time and 2020 has been a different kind of year for all of us. We will be publishing profiles of award recipients in MSBO eNews & Views – be sure to read those articles and learn about all the great work going on in Michigan’s schools. It is our hope to also recognize winners at their local school board meetings once in person board meetings resume.
Distinguished Service Award
MSBO’s Distinguished Service Award was established in 1987 to pay special tribute to exemplary current or former members of MSBO. It is given to those who provide inspirational service to MSBO and the school business management community. This year the award goes to two worthy individuals.
- Marios Demetriou, Ann Arbor Public Schools
- Helen McNamara, Ingham ISD
School Business Official of the Year
This award honors an individual whose recent accomplishments and contributions in school business have occurred during the past two years. As MSBO’s School Business Official of the Year, Mr. Gallagher will receive a professional development scholarship to attend ASBO International’s Annual Conference. His name will also be submitted to ASBO for their prestigious Eagle Award.
- Lawrence J. Gallagher, Berkley School District
Meridian Award of Excellence
The Meridian Award of Excellence is a special recognition award acknowledging successful practices in all areas of school management and education.
- Jon Barth, Berkley School District
- Wayne Westland Community School District Maintenance & Operations Department
- Anne Armstrong, Kyle Barr and Jim English, West Ottawa Public Schools
- Pete Muscio, Rochester Community Schools
Friend of Education
This special award honors individuals who are not members of MSBO and yet, have been dedicated to serving the best interests of education and students.
- David Hulings, Hulings & Associates
Most MSBO awards are chosen by a review committee or the MSBO Board of Directors. The President’s Award is chosen by the president. MSBO Board President Tom Armstrong has chosen:
- Lisa Truscott, Associate Member Representative to the MSBO Board, SET SEG
Mark and Kay Stebbins Scholarship
The Mark and Kay Stebbins Scholarship ($2,000) is targeted to members who are improving their technical skills and competencies by furthering their education.
- Abigail Weiland, Kentwood Public Schools
Wally Piper Scholarship
The Wally Piper Scholarship ($3,000) recognizes members pursuing a graduate degree.
- Laura Harrington, Chippewa Valley Schools
- Jon Laing, Lansing School District
- Ben Papes, Traverse Bay Area ISD
- Stacey Sopher, Livonia Public Schools
Congratulations to all award and scholarship winners!