“Engage through knowledge, application, and mentorship.”
MSBO has partnered with skilled past and present business managers to share their knowledge and experience in school finance. The end result is the MSBO Business Manager Academy.
The Academy is designed for those who want to gain in-depth, practical, “hands-on” working knowledge in school finance. Participation is limited and requires submission of the MSBO Business Manager Academy application.
2018-19 Program host sites:
- Saginaw Valley State University (SVSU) — Program begins August 22, 2018
- Wayne RESA — Program begins August 16, 2018
The Academy consists of:
- 11 class sessions
- Online technical content provided for advanced self-study
- Facilitated “in-person” work sessions designed to foster skills through “real-world” case examples
- Individual mentoring opportunities to allow for personalized professional support
- MSBO certification credit available and college credit may be available pending approval
- SCECHs available pending approval
Topics for discussion include:
- Cash flow and borrowing
- Working relations with unions, board members, superintendent, staff, and public including presentations, communication, and navigating various political situations in ways that allow the district to move forward
- Auditing and accounting topics
- Negotiating collective bargaining agreements
- Facilities, food service, transportation, technology and curriculum topics
- Working with outside agencies and government organizations
- Other topics as brought forth from participants or related to current issues
For more details on the program and dates, Download the Application!
$950 fee includes all course materials, refreshment breaks and meals. You will be responsible for overnight accommodations (if needed) and travel expenses. Accepted applicants will receive an email with instructions for registration and payment.